This is the Life of a Redhead



Friday, May 15, 2009

I can't be the only one who does this.

I swear I am not a stalker.
This is creative nonfiction, I guess?
I wrote this very quickly, while feeling down. It's probably full of odd syntax, weird grammar, and an incoherent flow.

Nocturnal Scavenger

Sometimes, when I am bored and feeling lonely, I will visit my Blogger profile and click on bands and films that I have listed in my profile as favorites. I scroll through the results, fondly regarding the multitude of strangers with whom I have at least one thing in common. On occasion, I spot a handsome man, and holding my breath I tentatively click on his profile, peering into the depths of his interests. I only get a vague feel of his life, but I smile, and I feel my cheeks glow when I see that we both share an appreciation for Wes Anderson flicks and the crooning voice of John Darinelle. When I am feeling especially brave, I plunge into his blog, skimming his lately musings to see if perhaps my soul mate is out there, wandering the streets of London or Sydney or Tokyo. I close my eyes, and I daydream about the wonderful life I could have with a man that I have built in my mind based off shallow information. Then I close the window, and I take careful precautions to never look for these men again. I erase them from my mind; I forget about our imaginary courtship. I return to reality, straining my ears to catch signs of life that surround me. Off in the distance, there are warm bodies held close by their significant others, oblivious to the emptiness that plagues me on these nights.

1 comment:

miss morgan potts said...

you are definitely not the only one that does that. i'm fond of clicking the 'next blog' button at the top until i find someone interesting, and then i make up stories about their life.